Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Taking Fiction Seriously

Welcome, loyal or not-so-loyal readers! I apologize for the long gap. I recently started university, and have been very busy. But I'm back now! I'm planning on popping up a new rant every Wednesday with something that annoyed me at some point in the week.

Okay. I have a friend, let's call her F. F is a delightful young lady. We're good friends, and like all good friends, she has a few things I don't like about her (and I'm sure she doesn't like all of me too), but overall we're friends. One of the things that brought us together was our love of books. All kinds of books. We are both avid readers. Unfortunately, while I am more of a skeptical reader, she is more of a "literal reader".

Case in point, she recently had a very bad breakup. F was upset, and as a result turned to a series of depressing fiction novels. Depressing fiction is not usually my first choice, but I wasn't to judge. Until she announced that she had "indentified with the characters" and was now taking on their personal philosophy as her own. This was particularly upsetting as the book was about child soldiers in the third world, and did not have a happy ending. Silly F insisted that this LITERARY MASTERPIECE was the message she had been looking for, and set off to "find herself".

I sincerely hope that I'm not alone in being apalled at her behavior. Then I thought about it, and a lot of people have been "moved" by the fcition world. Oprah, I'm looking at you. Case in point, a few years ago when the Da Vinci Code became a film. Do you reacall how worked up people got? All because of a fiction book.

Therefore, I end my rant today with this: IT IS FICTION. That is all. Not real. The people and events never existed, or are only loosely based on actuality. Please remember this. I'd like to believe that not everyone is delusional, and understands this. I could be wrong. I sincerely hope not.

But I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment